I'm a sensitive girl... I can't handle REALLY scary movies. I seriously get so freaked out, it takes me weeks to recover. BUT, I did love the Halloween movies they used to make when we were kiddies.
Here's my list (in no particular order) of scary movies and movie moments from my childhood. If I missed any that you think should be on this list, please tell me!
- Return to Oz - Are you kidding me? This movie was terrifying! The scene with the heads? Incredibly horrific for little kids.
- Arachnophobia - Of course this is one of the creepiest shows for me. Spiders are the worst! This scene gets me because there are always spiders in my bathroom! Hate it.
- Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Come on, the Large Marge scene? Fareeeaked me out!
- Dumbo - Pink Elephants on Parade is what nightmares are made of.
- Beetlejuice - Two scenes really got to me on this one: When Adam and Barbara do that face thing (I apologize - it's in Spanish, but hey, you get the picture.) and the end where Beetlejuice becomes that striped snakey thing.
- Earnest Scared Stupid - Remember the scene where the monster is lying in bed with the little girl and she doesn't know until she turns around? When I was little, this was SO disturbing to me! For years I would always check my bed before I got in. I couldn't find that particular scene, but here's a good one.
- Watcher in the Woods -This movie really freaked me out when I was little. Thanks, Disney. Thanks a lot. This scene is freaky... and this alternate ending isn't so freaky.
- Neverending Story - The 'nothingness' always a concept that kind of scared me when I was little. Also, the wolf that jumps out of the picture thing... not cool! I found this music video and it's pretty ridiculously awesome.
- Frankenweenie - same kid actor as Neverending Story! This one wasn't so scary as it was awesome.
- Little Monsters - This movies still freaks me out! Howie Mandel does a performance of a lifetime. Also, check out this amazing 80's commercial encouraging kids to call a 900 number! Classic.
- IT - I have no idea why my mother would let me watch this as a child. It still scares me so bad! I can't step on a shower drain or walk by a gutter grate without thinking that Pennywise is in there and he's gonna grab me. Ew. Even still, I get the chills just thinking about it.